Add a Journal Entry
Journal Entries are entries made directly to General Ledger accounts, not through the
subsidiary ledgers like AR or AP. A journal entry is either a credit or debit amount entered
against G/L accounts.
They must be balanced before posting, meaning, the debits and credits must equal each other.
Step By Step
1. Go to General Ledger and select GL Journal Entries.
2. Select Actions and click New Journal Entry.
3. Fill in the following information in Details
Either type it in or use the calendar icon to select a date
This is the easily identifiable name that will see on the activity feed for this transaction
Describe this entry
Reverse This Entry Next Period
Enable the Toggle to have the Journal Entry automatically reverse itself on a specified date. This can be handy when making accrual entries at the end of a period where the expenses will be paid the following period.
In the Line Items field select the folder icon to add your first account for the transaction
4. Select an account by searching the account name or number
5. Enter the amount in either the debit or credit field for the first account then press the + to the right to add the next account.
Once a line item is entered, it will automatically create an offset line to balance the entry.
6. Repeat for all remaining accounts in the transaction.
The Debit and Credit sides of the transaction have to show a 0 difference denoted by the Running Balance at the bottom of the transaction once this is done, press ADD at the top right of the page
Review the transaction for accuracy and make any changes before pressing ADD at the top right