Important Info - Report of Independent Contractors

Related Articles

Report of Independent Contractors

Adding Vendor Contract Information

Data Needed for Report of Independent Contractors



In the State of California, any business that is required to file a 1099-MISC for services performed by an independent contractor also must file a “Report of Independent Contractor(s)” to the Employment Development Department State of California. The required form is known as a DE 542. 

California residents are required to report independent contractor information if you hire an independent contractor and the following statements all apply:

  • You are required to file a Form 1099-MISC for the services performed by the independent contractor.
  • You pay the independent contractor $600 or more or enter into a contract for $600 or more.
  • The independent contractor is an individual or sole proprietorship.

The information you provide to the EDD will increase child support collection by helping to locate parents who are delinquent in their child support obligations.

The articles above will be able to give you the information needed in order to export the data needed for your DE 542. 

Additional Links:

State of California- Independent Contractor Report

Electronic Filing Guide

DE 542 Printing Specifications

e-Service for Business

Did you find this article helpful?

0 out of 1 found this helpful