Refund Owner Credit TOPS [ONE]
TOPS [ONE] Version 188.8.131.52
Owner refunds are done when an owner has a credit in their prepaid balance and that credit needs to be returned to the owner.
Sometimes someone overpays on accident and requests a refund of the overpayment. Other times, someone may have a credit on the account when they sell the unit and you need to issue a refund.
There are a couple parts to take to get this done in TOPS [ONE].
1. Click Portfolio then Communities. Select the community you want to work in.
2. Click Accounts Receivable and select Adjustments.
3. Select Owner Adjustment
4. Verify the Community.
If this transaction is for the wrong community, hover the cursor over the arrow next to the community name on the top left of the page, and select the correct community.
5. Enter the Owner's name or property address that has the prepaid balance.
The owner's status will show below the address. If the status says property, they are the primary owner.
6. Set the Adjustment Type as Adjustment
If the owner has a prepaid balance, the Prepaid Code (in this case General Prepaid) will display with the owner's current balance.
8. Under Adjustment, enter the amount to refund -XX.XX. After the amount is entered, click outside of the text box, to update the Total
Must add a - to make it a negative number
9. Credit Account- Checking/Cash account the refund will be issued from (ie, 1010).
Use the same account that is used to cut AP checks.
10. Debit Account- Enter the Prepaid Assessment account (ie, 3310).
11. When finished, Click Accrue at the top right
12. Click the Action Button to see the available next steps.
13. Follow the instructions in this article to add the homeowner as a vendor.
Add the Owners property address and information to the vendor page.
You can edit the Display Name to show Owner- on your reporting.
14. Enter and post a bill assigned to the homeowner.
Bill Number This is a required field and must be filled in. (Owner Refund- is typically used in this case)
Bill, Effective and Due Date - Enter the date the refund will be issued.
Use the same date as in Step 7
Bill Distribution The account used will be Credit Account used in the Prepaid Adjustment (Step 10)
Bill Total Amount to be refunded to the owner
15. Once the bill is posted, find the bill in your Open Invoices, and Print the Check
Why this works:
Two transactions wash each other out
- Adjustment - removes from cash (credits)
- AP cut check puts it back to cash (debits)
- AP offset removes from cash (credits)