Fixing Invalid Merge Codes
In this article, we will be looking at some ways to not only identify invalid merge codes, but we will also be taking a look at how to repair them using TOPS Merge Code Manager in Microsoft Word.
Step By Step
1. Open your letter in Microsoft Word
2. To identify any invalid merge codes, simply highlight the entire document, right-click and select Toggle Field Codes
- Any line that ends with numbers (01|8, A1|9, etc.), are invalid lines as the updated Merge Codes do not contain numbers. In this example, there are many lines that are invalid
3. Once you have identified your invalid lines, you can repeat step 2 and open up TOPS Merge Code Manager
4. Once you open the TOPS Merge Code Manager, select your Template Type and Category to pull up the merge codes that may be relevant to this letter
5. In this example we will be fixing the Community Address Line 1. Simple highlight the line, delete it and then look for the same merge code in the TOPS Merge Code Manager
6. In this next example we will be fixing the Community Report Name. Simple highlight the line, delete it and then look for the same merge code in the TOPS Merge Code Manager
You will continue to do this for every invalid line in the letter until they are all replaced with the proper Merge Code.
7. Once you finish replacing all of the invalid lines, you can Toggle Field Codes to ensure that there are no lines that end in numbers. In the provided example, you will see the top two lines are correct, and the bottom two lines are still not correct.